When writing my review for Professional Team Foundation Server 2010 I embarrassingly noticed that I failed to get a review out for another great book in the Wrox Professional series, namely Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010. Disclaimer: I received a complimentary review copy, though I reserve the right to offer an unbiased opinion.
Like Professional Team Foundation Server 2010, this is another book by a combination of Visual Studio ALM MVP and Microsoft staff, so we should expect a high quality product and thankfully the team of authors deliver exactly that. The book has a RRP of £39 but you can pick it up for around £20 from many popular websites in printed format and < £20 in digital format.
The book comes in at ~630 pages and is split into sections for Architects, Developers, Testers, Project Managers and Team Foundation Server (Note: you may be wondering if there is much common content between this book and Professional Team Foundation Server 2010. There is minor overlap, however both books provide valuable information on TFS).
My highlights in the book were
- Architecture: Architecture Explore and Layer Diagrams
- Developer: Unit Testing, Code Analysis, Profiling and Performance and IntelliTrace
- Tester: Coded User Interface Testing and Lab Management
- Team Foundation Server: Team Foundation Architecture
- Project / Process Management: Process Templates and Customization, Agile Planning using Planning Workbooks.
- Each chapter provides clear guidance and samples and although you may not be interested in every chapter, when the time comes, it will provide useful insight into the relevant topic.
- Like, Professional Team Foundation Server 2010, I unreservedly recommend Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010 for your bookshelf (be it physical or virtual).
- For Beginner / Intermediate Users: 5 / 5
- For Experienced Users: 5 / 5